Friday, April 16, 2010

Twitter Home Tour: Charmingly Chandler Edition



So, if you're visiting here because you found us on another blog I hope you're not disappointed by the un-decorated-ness of our house. In the past (almost) two months we've been working hard to repaint, unpack, live life, sleep and keep up with our wee one. We have big plans for this place, and as we paint the rooms we're feeling a little more at home. A few months back I started another blog to plan our what we wanted to do while we were waiting to close. Now I slowly post pictures of progress, share stories of what goes wrong with our DIY projects (and plenty goes wrong...crying walls and all).

So if my pictures fail to impress have a little mercy on us...we're getting there. So far we've painted (or had painted) six rooms and I'm currently in the middle of painting the seventh. With those we've painted the ceiling in most of the rooms and all of the trim. I took a lot of pictures of the house when we came to the house for the housing inspection. I am including some for a little before and after. (Will this help you all forgive my non-decorated house? I hope so!)

Now for my friends and family that are wondering "What is going on?!" I'll fill you in. A couple of weeks ago some people started a discussion on doing a home tour...and a few more people joined in and then some more...and now it's "Twitter Home Tour". A fun little tour of our homes. Some people went out to decorate to spruce up their house before the tour (I wasn't really one). Some people decided to take on painting projects the week of the tour (that was me...and I didn't get it done in time to post the pictures!). Anyhow, this is a good time to remind y'all too that there's a blog that updates on what's going on around our home these days. Check out the other posts linked and enjoy their tours as well! Trust me when I say there was a lot of cleaning that happening this week....so go and be a guest in their house!

So, if you have suggestions on what to do with my bare walls...what I should hang...what colors would look good in the rooms. I'm all ears (or eyes). We have the basement left to paint, and the painting will be complete. (I didn't include pictures of the craft room, because that room is my baby. And I don't want to cheapen the amazingness that it's going to be. But if you go look on the other blog I'm sure you can find a picture of it that I took when the old owners still lived here).

So are you ready? Here we go:

Lets start with the living room. I think this room shows one of the most drastic changes of our home so far. Before we painted the room was this color:
Before:

After:
And another view of the awesome color: Blonde by Shermin Williams
Before:
After:
SERIOUSLY what am I supposed to hang on this wall? I dont' want to hang pictures. But what do I hang? Someone leave a comment...tell me...PLEASE! I'm at a loss and I'm tired of looking on google images for hours!

Now the dining room. I don't have great shots/angels. I think that you get the idea though:
Before:
After:
If we move tot he left of the dining room we make our way into the kitchen. The kitchen was a huge painting task. I credit it for the reason we decided to pay someone to paint the living room. Painting over a bold color with a light color is more difficult than we imagined. Ohhh the layers of primer. Ohhhh the layers of paint. It's important for me to point out here that our kitchen is no where near complete. This summer we're putting in hardwood floors, re-doing the cabinets and putting in new countertops. Big changes coming. But for now, the paint changed it enough..for now.
Before:
After:

Before:
After:

Now the pantry. OHHHHHH the pantry. The 3 hour project that took more like 3 days. Thanks to some crying walls, and painting. Because yes, my husband...he painted the pantry (and I'm grateful for his need for things to be done a certain way, I love my pantry..I love that it's painted!). This is the only "before" picture that really isn't BEFORE. I took it after we'd moved in, removed what they had in there, and painted. (and this picture includes the hubs!)
Before:
After:
Taking a quick trip down the mini-hall we get to my bedroom...where the sleep happens. And the prayers for a quiet night of no wee one wake-ups occur.
Before:
After:
this room is a pathetic excuse of a bedroom. and if I didn't want people thinking we just slept in the living room I wouldn't have posted it. I swear that soon we will have furniture in there but we're in the process of selling our old furniture. i swear we aren't college kids!

My favorite room in the house right now. Sophia's room. Seriously I love it. It's not decorated yet (remember no decoration...anywhere). The vision that I have for her room is clear. But the color of the room. Oh my goodness I love it. It's bold, and playful, and strong, and fun...and it is exactly what I wanted for her room! The problem that others have is that they don't know what i'm going to do with the room...they look at it like "WHOA COLOR" and I look at it and think..you just wait. Her room...it's going to be the best room in the house!
Before:
Before it was a boys room
After:
Before:
After:


The guest room is just down the little hall from Sophia's room. The bed and stuff for the guest room is currently hanging out in my one-day-craft-room. I have a story to explain the wall color that is in this room. I DID NOT PICK IT OUT! Ok that's not true. I did pick it out. Cody left it up to me...and I picked it out. And I didn't test it out. I would like to say I'd never make that mistake again, but we have made that mistake again. Twice already. But neither was as drastic as this was. First it's WAY darker than I was expecting it to be. And the second you can't really embrace unless you walk into the room. But it's PURPLE Y'ALL. It was supposed to be brown. But it's not...no....it's PURPLE. Like a prune. I lovingly call it the prune room. Could we repaint it? Sure. Are we going to. Not until it transforms from the guest room to a nursery. We've had to just embrace it, and change our plan for bedding and such. So, as we were.
Before:
After:

Ohhhh what is left? Oh yes, a couple quick basement shots. Seriously. Only two, and they are both before shots because we haven't quite made it to working down there yet.
Cody's Media Room (aka: Cody's Man Cave)
Before:
Yes I blurred out faces, they aren't my kids y'all!

And the stairs (dull right):
Before:

So if you've made it this far you should be rewarded. And it's come to my attention that some people are doing crib style video's. And I don't want to truly disappoint. I thought about what I could give y'all that would be cribs like. I could take a cool picture of my car, or maybe of my dog, or what awesome microwave meals are hanging out in our freezer. But then it came to me. In a flash. And so while some of these pictures were loading I took the final picture for my Twitter Home Tour:

I suppose I should have offered you a glass at the beginning of the home tour. After all my Mom did teach me better than that!!

While you're here you should check out the good cause I've posted about to the right!! You can still help! So go check it out!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've put the button to the right so you can snag it. And it will link you back here! :-)


Once upon a time, @MomNom, @jennandtonica, @emmie_bee, @heirtoblair, and @ColeEmmett were talking about home decor on Twitter. We thought it would be so great to be able to see each other's homes! A *bunch* of other tweeps joined in, @Alena29 put together a terrific button, and #twitterhometour (or #twitterhouseparty) was born! Feel free to join us - add a link to your home tour post (pictures, video, or both!) below.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Alena!

    It's Becky from @The_Little_Bean I don't get to chat with all you fabulous girls much as I need to create a personal twitter account.

    Anyhoo, was up brewing the midnight oil (as usual), thought I'd take a break and a peak at your home on the twitter home tour. Love the paint colors! I've done the whole remodel thing a few times in the past so I know it can be very overwhelming. Just hang in there, your house is very nice and it will all come together before you know it :)

    BTW, thank you very much for all the mentions on twitter as well as here on your blog, about the NAMIWalks cause that I'm helping Adrienne @NoStylePoints with. It does not go unnoticed, and is very much appreciated :)

    Well I've enjoyed my time on your home tour, and thanks for the tea it was quite refreshing :)

    Have a great Friday!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great house! Don't rush to decorate it. Take your time and find what you want so that it's something you love. I can't offer you any suggestions for what to do since the house I moved into a year ago is still minimally decorated, but I love what you've done so far and I love the openness of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I have the same issue in my dining room. I can't find anything that I just MUST have! Loved the house - love the use of color on your walls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your paint colors...such transformations! Especially the nursery, love that blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house is adorable! You'll have to re-post when you're done, I am sure it will be amazing! Stop by tomorrow when I have a chance to post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like all of the new paint colors - your nursery blue looks a lot like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the color in the baby's room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Y'all house looks huge! I'm totally jealous. I love the blue in Sophia's room. The kitchen looks amazing with the lighter color, just opens the whole thing up. :)
    Looking forward to seeing it in real life in 3 weeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your house!!! Sophia's room is gorgeous. The painting colors you've done are perfect and the "prune room" doesn't look that bad "on film" so I'll take your word that it is. Overall? I think it's a gorgeous home so SHUT IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the new paint looks great! I actually really like the purple room. Almost mauve-ish. Hope you learn yo love it! lol

    I like the style of the house too :)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link and the fun! I'm sure your house will look amazing by the time you are finished! As for the stairway wall, have you thought about some of those word art thingys (I don't know the technical name, LOL) But you know, you buy a quote or a phrase and stick it to the wall. My Mom has some and they are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am the queen of hanging things on walls. For your staircase, since you DON'T want to do pictures, I would recommend checking out those vinyl wall stickers (I have words in my house but you could do vines or flowers or just something graphic). I've also hung up collections of empty picture frames, old hand-painted trays, plates (seriously, Google "plates on walls" and try not to die of inspiration) and other random collections of junk that, grouped together, look like art.

    I think you've made some really great changes already and will be checking back to see even more! The craft room sounds fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  13. Also, I would like a glass of Milo'. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the before and after's, you've done a lot of work -- it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love LOVE your colors. You've definitely made improvements!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! Nice home! Love ur kitchen. Great job!
    Do visit my home at www.beingzaraandzidan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails