Monday, December 14, 2009

A childs experience.

There are things that I wish I had gotten to experience as a child. I had friends growing up who had been able to do so much that I never got the chance to do. This isn't a pity party...my life wasn't perfect, but it was mine and it made me into the person I am today (for better or for worse lol). But I don't want my children to miss out on those things. I want to make sure I take time out of our schedules, no matter how busy they may end up, to do things that build a good childhood.

I don't know any better way to put these out there except to list them:

  • picnics
  • building snowmen
  • building sand castles
  • camping out in the living room
  • camping out in the back yard
  • feeding the ducks
  • going on weekend "adventures"
  • Disneyworld
  • Dress up
There are also the things that I want my children to know how to do before they move out and experience life on their own.
  • How to sew.
  • How to knit.
  • How to cook.
  • How to bake.
  • How to change a tire.
  • How to change oil.
  • How to grow a garden.
  • How to balance their checkbooks.
  • How to put out a fire.
  • How to build a fire.
There is no such thing as a perfect childhood. There's a lot of pressure on parents to give that to their children. But I think it's so unrealistic. I think ideally we should be doing all we can to give our children experiences that they can look back on fondly. That we should give them tools to help them in life. Obviously avoiding any major tramatic event would be preferable, but sometimes things happen in life....we can only control the things we do with our children and for our children. But life happens, and that's something that is unavoidable. So along with all of this, I hope that I can be the type of Mom to them so that when life does happen, they can know that I will be here. That they can always turn to me.

Sophia just spit her paci across the room, so I'm taking that as a cue that nap is over. Time to get back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails