Monday, February 1, 2010

The Swing is soon to go.

Sophia has become attached to her swing. Looking back, I should have limited the time that she was in the swing more. But it was the only place she would nap not in my arms. It was the only thing she wanted to do right after eating (again, besides being held). This all means that trying to get her to spend less time in the swing is quite a challenge. She loves her swing. She loves the mobile, the toys, all of it.

I need to get her to fall asleep for naps somewhere other than her swing. And while I personally love cuddling with her during naps, it's quite unrealistic. Especially with the big move coming (less than a month!). For the most part she's good at putting herself to sleep at night. We usually play the paci game for 30 minutes (ok in the middle of the night, this can go on for an hour), but she doesn't feed to sleep, or need to be held/rocked to sleep when it's time for bed. Napping is a much different story. And I'm not sure why it is.

So today is day 1 of trying to phase out the swing. I'd like to reduce swing time to just an hour a day. I'd also like to have her nap alone for most of her naps. I don't really have any good idea of how to make this happen. She isn't interested in being in her jumperoo more, or play on the floor more. She is interested in being held more. She's such a Mommy's Girl!!

So any helpful suggestions on how to phase out the swing are more than welcome!!

Her in her swing...in what seems like a lifetime ago:

August 25th, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I started out by letting him swing with the music on until he was asleep then turning it off. If he got fidgety, I'd just push it a few time to help rock him back into his deeps sleep.

    After that, I would just push it a few times and let the music play and usually he'd fall asleep.

    I'm now at the point where I just let him watch the mobile and listen to the music and he is usually out by the time the music turns off.

    I'm not sure what our next step will be, but he does seem to sometime fall asleep on my bed if I lay next to him for a few minutes. Will she fall asleep if you just snuggle up next to her and then leave when she is out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah she will fall asleep if I cuddle, but I just can't get up. Today we made LOTS of progress. And she hasnt hung out in her swing at all today. Although if she doesn't take a nap at 5 with out it, I will buckle. My arms are KILLING ME.

    I just don't want to continue the bad habit of her only sleeping in the swing. Plus she's only got like 4 more pounds until she's too big for it. ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails